Etiquette, Charm, and Beauty for the Woman of Today

Musings on etiquette, charm, and beauty from days of yore. A comparative analysis of the way things used to be, the way they are, and the way they should be.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Etiquette: Motoring Manners I: Key to Success

Dear Reader,

To-day's lesson comes about at the request of a Pastor at my church. You can imagine how pleased I was to know that men are reading my daily column, as I had intended it to be strictly for ladies--my, such a joy to know that the gentleman of today will be benefiting from my writings! Of course, now I must be exceptionally delicate when I discuss such matters involving the gentlemen of to-day. I do not want to be the subject of any negative sort at the next prayer meeting!

Aside from the mildly ill mannered driving habits of those on the motorways today, which we will have to address in another lesson, indeed, there is a most important issue regarding the opening of a car door for a lady in the "age of clickers", as my reader so eloquently stated. As I understand it, "clickers" are the modern equivalence of a key for opening the locks on the side car doors. One no longer needs a latch key for entry; I can see the convenience of it all. Now I ask, dear reader, does the advancement of technology call for a regression in one's graciousness to others? I say not. Just because one can open the passenger door of an automobile remotely does not shirk any gentleman of worth in the community from his duties to the lady who keeps his company. Because I own a RADAR RANGE, does that excuse my serving dinner party guests poorly heated TV dinners from the ice box over lovingly prepared rack of lamb with rosemary and sage? I fear not. Here is another example for increased clarity: because the grocery markets now have doors that open and close automatically, a most convenient feature, does that in itself allow a man to enter before a woman since he no longer has a door to hold open? I say to my friend, take heart, keep your gentlemanly nature and continue to offer the car door to your lady friend, albeit by unlocking the car with your "clicker" rather than a key. Regardless of the technology available to you, the chilvarous touch you provide to your love should remain the same. The rules of proper decorum have not changed.

My dear man, you will find that your graciousness to others will take you far in life. You will be esteemed in your profession and a charming host. It matters not if you use a "clicker" to gain access to your vehicle as long as you assist your fair companion; that is your "key" to success.

Until next time...

HF

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ladies appreciate gentlemen. Always.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Hildegarde Fillmore said...

Indeed...

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Intervention
Intervention/body>