Etiquette, Charm, and Beauty for the Woman of Today

Musings on etiquette, charm, and beauty from days of yore. A comparative analysis of the way things used to be, the way they are, and the way they should be.

Sunday, February 01, 2009

Dear Hildegarde: Your Questions Answered

Dear Mrs. Fillmore,

Regarding thank you notes - it's my goal in life to write thank you notes is as timely a manner as possible. I've been TERRIBLE about this, but am glad to say my holiday thank yous were out last week (after sitting in my purse a week before that waiting for stamps). What about thank you notes when you have received a gift and given thanks already in person? I believe you cannot express "too much" thanks to anyone, but is a thank you note required in this instance?

Sincerely,
Always Writing

Dear Mrs. Writing,

Thank you so very much for writing in today! I do so like to receive feedback and questions from my readers. Well, it sounds as if you have been heeding my column and are on your way to completing your charm program! I had better ready my calligraphy pen for your graduation certificate, which of course will arrive on engraved papers (NEVER printed - remember that, dear).

Now, in answer to your question, it is most appropriate to follow up with a thank you note even when a gift has been given and thanks received in person, although not required. Consider how you would feel if you received a note of gratitude in the same situation: most likely, you would be pleased and fondly remember the person writing the note. This is what courtesy is all about. Unless you are some sort of stalker, it is unlikely that you would "overthank" someone for a gift.

I hope this has answered your question, dear. Please do come back and let me know what you decided.

Until next time,
HF

Do you have a question for Mrs. Fillmore? Please send an email to hildegardefillmore@hotmail.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Intervention
Intervention/body>