Etiquette, Charm, and Beauty for the Woman of Today

Musings on etiquette, charm, and beauty from days of yore. A comparative analysis of the way things used to be, the way they are, and the way they should be.

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Beauty: Tim Gunn...is his style advice always correct?

Dear Reader,

I am so invigorated now that I can write to you again on a regular basis! I so missed give out my advice over the summer, despite my complete fulfillment being away. Now we are back to business...let me discuss an item which came to my attention the other evening whilst I was watching a new show on the television, "Tim Gunn's Guide to Style". This is a lovely television show where ordinary people are "spruced up", as it were, to look more like reasonable people with style. Most of the "victims" are not surprisingly, from the New York City metro area. Living in Scarsdale, I have the benefit, or perhaps the unfortunate privilege, of seeing style at its worst, predominantly with the young people around town. The older set has style to perfection, but this younger generation has taken a turn for the worst, even in Bronxville. But, I digress...

This particular episode showed a young pediatrician from the Bronx getting a makeover. She was a petite woman of reasonable charm; however, the dress selected for her on the show by Tim Gunn was too short. One of the dresses selected at the Cynthia Rowley boutique was perfect for her-- a halter dress with the hem just hitting below the knee. It was perfection in fabric and flattered her hourglass, yet longer waisted figure. The dress that Mr. Gunn selected was attractive, but was cut a few inches above the knee. Now Mr. Gunn, I can't think of one person on this planet who has knees atractive enough to advertise. Most people have "a little extra" in the knee/lower thigh area and the length of this dress did not flatter this young doctor in the least. As much as I adore you, Mr. Gunn, I would have selected the halter dress.

Let this be a lesson to my readers...dresses and skirts should hit you at the knee or just below it. Your knees are for function and should not be displayed in public, short of being at the tennis club in your whites.

Isn't that easy? A one step lesson for to-day.

Until next time...

HF

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's suggestion #2 that gets tricky, especially when you are exiting and they are entering... and all sorts of other strange combinations.

(And yes, I called it "suggestion" just to give you something to fume about for a while!)

Totally Anonymous in VB

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Intervention
Intervention/body>