Etiquette, Charm, and Beauty for the Woman of Today

Musings on etiquette, charm, and beauty from days of yore. A comparative analysis of the way things used to be, the way they are, and the way they should be.

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Dear Hildegarde: Your Questions Answered

Dear Mrs. Fillmore,

Another wedding shower question for you:

What is your opinion of having guests at your shower self-address an envelope for a thank you note?

Wet Blanket II

Dear Miss Blanket,

My--I had to get the vapors after I read your question! I am sure that you are asking in hopes to bring some levity to an otherwise snowy and cold day here in Scarsdale, aren't you dear? The only word I can think of for a person who does such a thing is "tacky". Oh my--I am still catching my breath at the thought. This is surely a dreadful thing to do (akin to handing your house guests sheets and asking them to make up their own beds) and for once, I can think of nothing more to add, other than to be sure to strike her name and address from your hostess diary and garden party invitation list. I think I shall lie down now for a brief respite.

Until next time...

HF

Do you have a question for Mrs. Fillmore? Please send an email to hildegardefillmore@hotmail.com.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs. Fillmore,
I am so sorry to have made you feel faint, and I do appreciate your honest answer, as one never knows what has evolved into being acceptable in this day and age. I appreciate the affirmation.

Cordially Yours,
Miss Blanket

5:19 PM  
Blogger Hildegarde Fillmore said...

Dear Miss Blanket,

No problem, dear. I have fully recovered.

Thank you again for our post.

HF

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs. Fillmore,

I think I will lie down with my smelling salts near at hand also.

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Intervention
Intervention/body>