Etiquette, Charm, and Beauty for the Woman of Today

Musings on etiquette, charm, and beauty from days of yore. A comparative analysis of the way things used to be, the way they are, and the way they should be.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Charm: To Dry...or Not To Dry

Dear Reader,

Our question for to-day is whether or not to clean up after oneself in a ladies room. I must say that I have never had to think about this one before: I have always had a lady in waiting at home and when I am at the club, there is always a matron in the ladies room. However, were I to be of such resources as not to have these luxuries about me, I would say that the answer must be a definite "yes".

A reader wrote in to me about cleaning up around the sink area in a public facility. I must say, dear reader, you must always clean up after yourself if there is no attendant to do so. After washing your hands, etc., please dry up the area you have just used as not to leave a pool of water which will soil the next person's blouse. I can only imagine permanently damaging a new silk charmeuse all because of some careless, thoughtless, and slovenly person's remission to tidy up. What is this world coming to? Please look after yourselves in a caring and ladylike manner. Make this note: if you cannot clean up after yourself in public, who is going to want to invite you to her candlelight dinner party at her estate?

Until next time,

HF

Do you have a question for Mrs. Fillmore? Please send an email to hildegardefillmore@hotmail.com.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs. Fillmore,
Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day! I was recently invited to a bridal shower for a member of my church, whom I do not know very well. All of the women of my church are invited to the shower (I should clarify here that it is an "open" invitation to all the women of the church, no personal invitation was received). The shower is to be held in two weeks, however, no invitation to the wedding itself has been extended to me thus far -- and the wedding is to be held in February! Is it considered bad form to invite someone to your bridal shower but not the actual wedding? If so, what is the appropriate response?

Signed,
Wet Blanlet

3:27 PM  
Blogger Hildegarde Fillmore said...

Dear Wet Blanket,

Please see the posting for January 22.

HF

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Intervention
Intervention/body>